Welcome to the USS Scorpion, a private, Play by Blog RPG. We are voluntarily rated NC-17 (hence the lovely worded disclaimer you had to agree to before getting here). There won't be anything too too too bad but just in case....For your reading ease, each post is numbered so you can read in order and follow the story lines. As well, each post has the Mission name as its Label. We are NOT actively seeking members but if you wish to join us, please check the right hand side of your screen to see what we need. Thanks! and Enjoy!



Saturday 8 October 2011

[Scorpion #1] The Trial

Commander Kaile Emmerson
Executive Officer
USS Scorpion (before repairs)
<Starfleet Headquarters, San Francisco>

Kaile knew this would happen. She from the moment her and Dr. Oloonu decided to relieve the captain of duty things would snow ball from there. 

"At first we relieved him of duty and confined him to his quarters," Kaile told the court.  She felt physically ill. "But that didn't work."

"What do you mean it didn't work?"

"He attacked the guards placed outside his door and escaped. Then we started losing power to the thrusters--he hacked into the system and tried diverting power fromt he thrusters for the torpedos."

"So even after he already fired one at the planet...he tried firing another?"

Kaile swallowed the lump in her throat. "Yes sir."

"What happened next?"

"I ordered security team Beta and the marines to go after him," Kaile said. "He has military training and I didn't want any more fatalities on board. I ordered them to confine him to the brig when he was caught."

"Were there any mroe fatalities?"

"Yes sir.  He killed one of Beta's men. According to the autopsy report, by breaking his neck."

Kaile took a breath.

"You blame yourself for this--why?"

Kaile locked eyes with the JAG officer and took a breath. "I know Captain Golding better than most--that is why I was promoted to be his XO. I should have known something was terribly wrong."

"Why do you say that?"

"He's normally so careful, sir," Kaile responded. "Immaculately dressed, outgoing. He had an open door policy.  When I tried entering his ready room just before arriving at the planet, I smashed into it.  It was locked.  His uniform looked as though he'd slept in it, his eyes were red."

"And did you ask him why that was?"

"Of course. He said he just couldn't sleep."

"Did you make a suggestion as to what he should do?"

Kaile nodded. "Yes sir." She glanced at captain Aaron Golding.

"What was that?"

"I suggested he see Dr. Oloonu," Kaile replied. "I mean, if he couldn't sleep there had to be a reason. I also suggested he speak with our counselor."

"Why the counselor?"

Kaile smiled. "Because the last time I couldn't fall asleep, Dr. Redding was wonderful in easing my mind so I could sleep. Sometimes all someone really needs to ease insomnia is to clear their minds, I find."

The questions kept coming. Sometimes faster than she could answer them.  Kaile kept up as best she can, from time to time looking at her former captain.  Aaron had the same posture he had the moment the proceedings began and the witnesses were led in. He was hunched over, slouched.  His hair was frazzled his hands shook where his fingers were laced tightly together on the desk. He looked fragile. He'd lost weight.

She knew that in the back of his head, he already knew the outcome to all of this.  But what she really wanted to do, was why. Why such a strong, put-together man would do that. She wanted to know why he thought it was vital to slaughter over three hundred strangers plus two of his own.

"What do you think of Captain Golding commander?"

"I used to think the sun and moon came from him," Kaile shrugged. "He was always kind to me and treated me with the utmost respect.  The man sitting here now, the man who dropped that torpedo isn't Captain Golding...he couldn't be...can't be..."

With her testimony over, the court was over for the day. She watched as they led captain Golding back to his cell.  The captain stopped and looked at her and her breath was caught in her throat.

"I am sorry, Em," he whispered, his voice cracking from lack of use. "I never meant for any of this to happen. You have to believe that."

"I begged you to see the dr, Aaron. I begged you to see the counselor. I--I don't know what else I could have done for you."

"You saved me, you know," Aaron whispered, as the guards nudged him to move along. "You saved me, Em."

Kaile looked away and pressed her eyes shut.  A shudder washed over her with his words and tears stung at her eyes. She didn't understand it.  How could she have saved him.

"Commander?"

Kaile turned around to see the counselor, Angela Redding standing there. "Yes. Lt."

"This is all going to end badly, isn't it?" Angela questioned.

Kaile looked over her shoulder at the captain disappearing down the hall. "I don't see it ending any other way."

No comments:

Post a Comment